Cloud Mountain (Autumn Poem)

I.
Autumn falls, silver, in tune
Breaking the soporific spell that held us
You smell it first on the seaways
Then inland, on currents of air
On gusts, on plumes –
You see it first on the face of the moon
A new warmth even as we go cold in its light
A new warmth that lasts through myriad cold and dreaming nights
My love, I need you to warm me
As I, reciprocally, warm you
Gaze benevolently down from your heights upon me
Cold and sad and missing you
Wondering why I shy away when you, in your warmth, come to me
A lantern in my frost-breath loneliness
To warm me, to hold me
Knowing I am alone, regardless, when the ghosts sleep.
And. Wondering.
Alone. But why?
 II.
 The mysterious north comes down
With smell of ghosts in passageways
Stealing inward with a glance
I view, afar, the downwind summer days
Knowing that I must accept
That the season of clouds has gone
That the season of light has come
It’s the season when days retract
The season of refracted sun
The rivers are low and sinking lower
Covered in flotsam like a skin
Why as I grow do I get smaller?
Why does discipline only turn me in?
III.
And now I know that I must journey
To where, in a cabin on a hill, above the low rivers
Below the spire that punctures the clouds
You sit, in meditation, in candlelight
Dreaming of me and what I might have been
Has the world left me behind or I it?
Was it mutual, a brief harmonious split?
Or have I just lost my way
Trying in vain to breathe in all of the scents of abscission?
If we are whole then what of this division?
Outside looking in or inside looking in
I no longer even fathom the place where the bright waters meet
I cannot even see the moon through the canopy of trees
Is it waxing?
Waning?
Stuck in between?
Is its warmth but imagined?
Is it a cutout on string?
A rock, a satellite
An incomprehensible thing?
Gazing into the small, dancing light, you do not answer
But that is alright
For the ways, pathless, have led me to you
And the knowing that you are here is enough
For tonight
IV.
Autumn wind, sing to me
Old friend with bitter, arid tongue
Whisper to me of places vast and far away
Dance through branches with desiccated glee
Warm me, chill me, turn me inward
Wake me
Lull me to sleep
The stars, I whisper, blindly run
The traces – all swept clean away
Shine down on us, you billion tiny suns
Your warmth, mine
Both are faraway
V.
Show me the way to Cloud Mountain
Though the ways are hard and steep I do not mind
For I have been in the foothills only
But a measure above the arid plains
Believing to have scaled the lofty heights and
Dizzy with my own accomplishments
Did not even realize whereupon I stood at morning or evening
Did not even realize that, above me, looming, lit, like a great cathedral
In the day’s, the year’s, last rays
You stood, looming.
Above me.
Looming
A rock, a monolith.
A god.
Show me – no, lead me – to Cloud Mountain
Though I love the lowlands and strive always, despite the costs, to go South in winter
Though I love the warm verdant breath of the lowforests on my face –
A warm comfortable friend telling stories of my comfortable youth –
I know that I must take the ways, though being hard and steep
That, though I long to laze
I have promises, if only to myself, to keep
That I must ascend to where
The forests are fed perpetually by the clouds
And the sun is a weary stranger who stays only briefly and leaves fast
Where one, when finding one’s vista uninterrupted
Can see, uncorrupted,
The world bend at last
The lights of distant cities, though luminous
Diminished to that of a wavering candleflame
Into which one (meaning I)
Gazes during evening meditations
In my shadow grove, outside the door of the small place
Upon the small hump which I believed to be the summit
The apex
Of all to which I have aspired
I raise my damp, unshaven face
And I am tired
And I am meek
And though the night is warm and filled with stars
I long to go to sleep
No matter that the air, this close to the valley, is fine
No matter that the spire, rising, backlit by starlight, is no nearer
(No matter that you aren’t either)
The morning will come
And after reading, and bathing, and meditation
And after taking a long time shaving
I will feel right, pure, awake
And will begin the climb which I know I must undertake
(Sure I know the way)
For the climb’s sake
To where the spire looms
To where the face of the moon, day pale but incontrovertibly there,
Beckons me on
Fixes me with beckoning, incontrovertible stare
VI.
The clouds grow thick
And my blanket warm
The candle dances, leans drunkenly, dances
And then is no more
(And high up, it has begun to snow.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Keynote Address to the Calumet High School Class of 2016